Selected Families and Individuals

Notes


Arthur Stephen RENDELL

MISC: Wed. Dec. 11, 1907
ARTICLE:
THROUGH RATES

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur RENDELL with their 2 sons, left by last night's express for England, via Halifax, where they join the C.P.R. Steamer "Empress of Britain". They procured through tickets from General Passenger Agent Johnstone, of the Reid-Newfoundland Company. Through transportation is a great convenience to the travelling public, and it is a gratifying feature in connection with the Reid system, that arrangements have been made to secure through passenger and freight rates, as well by the C.P.R. steamers as their trains. That luggage may now be checked right through from its destination is a very desirable feature, as transshipments are thereby robbed of the worst of their terrors. Luggage is checked at St. John's, and there the worry ceases until Liverpool.

Newfoundland Posts and Telegraphs
September/ October 1923

Sunday, Early Edition:
Oct. 18:
A.S. RENDELL & Co.'s schooner "Freedom" which left Sydney {Nova Scotia] in
September and was feared lost with all hands arrived Carbonear this morning.

DEATH: will proved in London on Oct 7, 1932 to Franklin Harrison McKeown Bonnell - solicitor's clerk attorney of Harry Rendell and Ewen Stabb Rendell. The estate was worth 4769 pounds


Robert (Robin) BRYDONE-JACK

The WP&YR railway was considered an impossible task but it was literally blasted through coastal mountains in only 26 months.

The $10 million project was the product of British financing, American engineering and Canadian contracting. Tens of thousands of men and 450 tons of explosives overcame harsh and challenging climate and geography to create "the railway built of gold."

The WP&YR climbs almost 3000 feet in just 20 miles and features steep grades of up to 3.9%, cliff-hanging turns of 16 degrees, two tunnels and numerous bridges and trestles. The steel cantilever bridge was the tallest of its kind in the world when it was constructed in 1901.

The 110 mile WP&YR Railroad was completed with the driving of the golden spike on July 29, 1900 in Carcross Yukon connecting the deep water port of Skagway Alaska to Whitehorse Yukon and beyond to northwest Canada and interior Alaska.

White Pass & Yukon Route became a fully integrated transportation company operating docks, trains, stage coaches, sleighs, buses, paddlewheelers, trucks, ships, airplanes, hotels and pipelines. It provided the essential infrastructure servicing the freight and passenger requirements of Yukon‚s population and mining industry. WP&YR proved to be a successful transportation innovator and pioneered the inter-modal (ship-train-truck) movement of containers.

The WP&YR suspended operations in 1982 when Yukon's mining industry collapsed due to low mineral prices. The railway was reopened in 1988 as a seasonal tourism operation and served 37,000 passengers.
Today, the WP&YR is Alaska‚s most popular shore excursion carrying over 300,000 passengers during the May to September tourism season operating on the first 40 miles (Skagway, Alaska to Bennett, B.C.) of the original 110 mile line.

Historical timelines will be added soon.


Stephen RENDELL

Profession: Twillingate Sun
1886
January - February

Jan. 9, 1886
  
Appointment

We have been favored per Hercules with the following cable from England, which was received by His Excellency Sir Ambrose SHEA, on New Year's Day: -- Congratulations on your appointment, which we feel to be in best interests of trade and general welfare of colony. Walter GRIEVE, Son & Co.; BAINE & JOHNSTON; C.T. BOWRING & Co.; JOB, Brothers & Co.; MARE, HOLWOOD & Co.; Charles T. BENNETT; Stephen RENDELL; Robert GRIEVE.

In the possession of Job Bros. & Company is an indenture of apprenticeship dated 1st November 1834, between Stephen Rendell (apprentice) and Thomas Bulley, John Job, Robert Job and Thos. Bulley Job, trading as Bulley, Job & Company.

In 1854 Mr. Stephen Rendell, (father of Messrs. R.G. Rendell, A.S. Rendell and Doctor Rendell), became a partner and manager of the St. John's business, which for sometime previously had been conducted by Messrs. Robert Job and Thos. Bulley Job.  The former appears to have retired about this time and Thos. Bulley Job transferred his activities to the Liverpool business.

In 1881 Mr. Stephen Rendell retired from the business and was succeeded by a local manager in the person of Mr. George A. Hutchings, who remained in the service of the firm until his death in 1920.

Mr. Fenwich Crane joined the staff of Job Brother & Co., Limited, in 1885 and in 1886 Mr. William Carson Job became a partner in the firm and manager of the business.

In 1890 Mr. Samuel Ernest Job became a partner in both the St. John's and Liverpool firms.

In 1892 the Firm's Northside premises were destroyed in the big conflagration, but were speedily re-built. Mr. William Carson Job married to Miss Edith Warren (sister of Mr. Justice Warren, at one time Prime Minister of Newfoundland).

In 1893 Hon. Stephen Rendell died in Devonshire, England.

MISC: from the book "Newfoundland Men"
The Late Hon. Stephen Rendell was born at Coffinswell, Devoneshire, England on May 24, 1819, and educated at Kingsherswell.  He came to Newfoundland when sixteen years of age and entered the employ of Job Bros. & Co. After some years he went to Hant's Harbor, Trinity Bay, where he operated an extensive concern, returning to assume the charge of that firm's general business in this colony.  For many years Mr. Rendell occupied prominent positions in the mercantile community and during his management of the business of Messrs. Job Brothers & Co. won golden opinions from all with whom he had dealings.  Mr. Rendell represented the large and important district of Trinity for a period of twelve years successively when he was appointed to the legislative council with a seat in the executive. This latter position he held for seven years.  During the period of his membership in the assembly he was foremost in advancing the interests of his district and the colony generally, but perhaps the most important act of his was one for the introduction of rabbits.  The thousands of 'poor settlers' throughout the island owe him a deep debt of gratitude for this measure as it has proven one of incalculable usefulness. As a man he was a very model, gentle and genlemanly ever ready to lend assistance and sympathy to all who needed it.  Interest in the young, he was ever in the front of all movements whether educational, social or commercial for their advancement and was universally loved and respected.  In 1881, owing to failing health, Mr. Rendell retired and took up his residence in a more congenial climate. He died at Devonshire, his home, April 4, 1893.  His wife was Miss Catherine Morris of Canada.


John RENDELL

DEATH: November 25, 1881
  Death on board Schooner

The steamer ""Hercules"" which left St. John's for the North on Friday evening last, put in here about 6 p.m. on Sunday, Captain CROSS not wishing to proceed further as one of the passengers, John RENDELL, Esq., M.H.A. for Trinity Bay, was ill and appeared to be in a dangerous state, and who, sad to relate, died on the following evening notwithstanding all that could be done for his recovery. Mr. RENDELL was a son of the Hon. Stephen RENDELL of St. John's and was on his way to Round Harbor where he had been engaged in a mercantile business for some time. The remains of the deceased were conveyed to St. John's in the schooner ""Bess... " which left here on Tuesday morning. We tender our sympathy to the sorrowing relatives.  
Untimely Death

The untimely death of Mr. John RENDELL, M.H.A., at Twillingate, on last Friday week, has been the occasion of an almost universal regret in our community. Away from home and friends and from the care which loving hands could give, his illness and death have a sadness which has touched every heart. His generous and amiable disposition had made for him friends of all who knew him, and they will join in heartfelt sympathy with those to whom the bereavement comes home most closely.--- St. John's Gazette.


William BRYDONE-JACK

Profession: William Brydone Jack (1819-1886) was UNB's first teacher of surveying. In 1840, he was appointed Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at what was then King's College (founded in 1785) and gave lectures in surveying as part of the mathematics curriculum.

Brydone Jack designed and built a small wooden observatory which became operational in 1851.
The plaque on the building reads:


First Astronomical Observatory in Canada

Built in 1851 at the instigation of William Brydone Jack, professor of mathematics, nautral philosophy and astronomy; President of the University of New Brunswick, 1861-85. Schooled in the traditions of the Scottish universities, he equipped the observatory with the best instrumenmts of the day. In collaboration with Harvard observatory he determined the longitude of Fredericton and other places in New Brunswick and corrected errors in the international boundary

It was in 1855, that Brydone Jack, together with Dr. J.B. Toldervy, determined the longitude of Fredericton using the exchange of telegraph signals with Harvard College Observatory. This was the first precisely determined longitude in Canada.

In the same year that UNB was created (1859), a special three-term undergraduate course in civil engineering and surveying was initiated. The first diploma in this special course was awarded to Henry George Clopper Ketchum in June 1862. Brydone Jack (UNB President 1861-1885), was appointed to the Board of Examiners in 1874 for the examination of candidates for admission to practice land surveying in New Brunswick.

Jack Kennedy, sometime professor of physics at UNB, wrote extensively on Brydone Jack's accomplishments in astronomy and land surveying including his efforts to build the observatory and the determination of longitude by electric telegraph.

Photos courtesy of Archives & Special Collections, Harriet Irving Library, and Media Services, UNB.

-- R.B.L.

University of New Brunswick
1819  William Brydone Jack born.
1822 April First "college classes" held.
1826  Cornerstone of Old Arts Building (now called Sir Howard Douglas Hall) laid by Lt. Gov. Sir Howard Douglas.
1827 December Royal charter for King's College granted
1828 February 21 First (and last) three graduates of the College of New Brunswick.
1829 January 1 King's College and the Old Arts Building officially opened.
1837  The Chair of Chemistry and Natural Science and the Chair of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy established.
1840 September 26 William Brydone Jack formally appointed "Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy" at King's college. Gave lectures in surveying as part of the mathematics curriculum.
1851  Observatory built.
1851 July Brydone Jack applied for (but did not obtain) professorship of natural philosophy at the University of Toronto.
1853 December 10 Course in civil engineering (much of which was surveying) announced in the press.
1854 February 15 First lecture in civil engineering course given by McMahon Cregan.
1855  Longitude measurements between Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Fredericton.
1859 April 13 Act creating a secular, provincial University of New Brunswick passed.
1859  Calendar announced a three-term "special undergraduate course in Civil Engineering and Surveying." Students successfully completing this course received a diploma.
1860  Charter for the University of New Brunswick granted.
1861  Brydone Jack becomes President of the University of New Brunswick.
1862 June 5 First diploma in the special undergraduate course awarded to Henry George Clopper Ketchum.
1868/69  Special class in engineering and surveying formed.
1870  Announcement of a science course in the Calendar for 1870/71.
1874 July 27 Brydone Jack appointed to the Board of Examiners for the examination of candidates for admission to practice as land surveyors in New Brunswick.
1874  Brydone Jack became involved in testing surveyors' compasses and chains. He began a series of magnetic measurements.
1885  Brydone Jack retired from UNB.
1886 November 23 Brydone Jack died

William Brydone Jack Meridian Pillar University of New Brunswick February 17, 2005 In 1874, the province passed “An Act respecting Land Surveyors and the Survey of Land”. The Act laid down requirements for the practice of Land Surveying, and from that point forward, entrenched land surveying as a profession. The Act ultimately let to the creation of a self-regulating organization to regulate the profession in 1954: the Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyors. One of the provisions of that 1874 Act was the creation of a Board of Examiners for Land Surveyors. Its functions included the examination of candidates desiring to become a land surveyor, and the testing of their equipment (chain and compass). The Act also stipulated that a meridian line was to be marked in Fredericton, for the testing of theaccuracy and variation of surveyors’ compasses. William Brydone Jack was one of the first members appointed to the Board, serving from 1874 until 1886. It was his task to mark the meridian line on the ground at the University ofNew Brunswick. He did so in 1874 and reported that “At a point in the Meridian of the University of NB and 8.82 chains due south from the Transit Room [Brydone Jack Observatory], I had a stone pillar erected, and to prevent its being affected by the frost, I had the ground around it thoroughly drained . . .” Dr. Jack then took measurements of the true (astronomic) bearing from the pillar to sixconspicuous objects in the City; specifically four church spires in the downtown, and the edges of two chimneys on the University building [now Sir Howard Douglas Hall]. The first test of a land surveyor candidate’s compass was performed at noon on February 18, 1875. The compass belonged to Mr. A. K. McDougald of Oak Point, Northumberland County. Six observations were taken to the previously measured objects, and a comparison of the magnetic compass bearing to the true bearing established by Dr. Jack was made. In his notes, Dr. Jack mentioned that although there was considerable wind at the time of observations, McDougald’s compass was in good order and the results were satisfactory. In recognition of the efforts by former UNB President Dr. William Brydone Jack toimprove the quality of surveying in NewBrunswick, the following note has been placed as a plaque near the meridian pillar. As part of the celebration of its 50th Anniversaryof incorporation, the Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyorscollaborated withUNB’s Department of Geodesy & Geomatics Engineering to refurbish the immediate vicinity of the pillar and to place the plaque.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2
left to right: Dr. David Coleman, Dean of Engineering; Henry Schubert, President, Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyors; Dr. James Secord, Professor in Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering.(Photo: Terry Arsenault, 2005-February-17)A Commemoration Ceremony was held on Thursday, 17 February with local members of ANBLS, UNB faculty and librarians, and students in attendance. During the ceremony, it was also noted that this month marks the 150th Anniversary of the first determinations of precise longitude inCanada using the electric telegraph. The measurements were made by Brydone Jack and his colleague, J. B. Toldervy. Portions of the text and the photo of the pillar and of the three dignitaries were ‘borrowed’ from the web site of the UNB Department of Geodesy & Geomatics Engineering:http://gge.unb.ca

Canadian Encyclopedia

Jack, William Brydone     from TCE Standard  
  
Jack, William Brydone, mathematician, astronomer, educator (b at Trailflatt, Scot 23 Nov 1817; d at Fredericton 23 Nov 1886). An outstanding natural scientist and educator, Jack built an astronomical observatory in Canada on the campus at King's College [later the University of New Brunswick], Fredericton, in 1851. Now named the Brydone Jack Observatory, it was marked by an official plaque in 1955 which identified the building as the "First Astronomical Observatory in Canada." In 1854 (professor 1840-85, president 1861-85), Jack introduced an engineering course there to train students in practical surveying. Two decades later he established the first "standards laboratory" in Canada for surveying instruments. He gave numerous public lectures on ASTRONOMY and related topics. Under his distinguished presidency, UNB became a centre of excellence and produced many outstanding Canadian scholars.

Author J.E. KENNEDY

...from RASC's Observer's Handbook 1992
"The Brydone Jack Observatory, the oldest astronomical observatory in Canada is located on the campus of the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton, New Brunswick. There is an observer's room and a transit room. The creation of this observatory, in 1851, was due to William Brydone Jack (1819-1886) who was professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at King's College in 1840 (King's College became the University of New Brunswick in 1858). Jack served as President of the university from 1861 to 1885. The observatory was established for both longitude determinations and instruction in astronomy.

Through the interest and efforts of J. E. Kennedy..., in 1955 the observatory was declared a National Historic Site and a plaque was affixed to itby the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. The observatory stands on its original site, and since 1985 has been operated as a museum. The original 6-inch, f/15, mahogany and brass refractor, by Merz of Munich, is under the octagonal dome." The Museum is opened weekdays. Tel: 506-453-4723.

I was very impressed at the genious idea of using a clock mechanism in lieu of a motor-drive, since there was no electricity then!

One might say that the position of the father of engineering education in Canada should be shared between Sir Edmund Head and Dr. William Brydone Jack (shown at left from a photo about 1870), who laid the groundwork for the first program of engineering at then King's College, New Brunswick. In 1854 Sir Edmund Head was appointed Governor-General of Canada. This position carried with it the responsibility to act as Visitor to McGill College in Montreal. He was influential in having William Dawson appointed as Principal to McGill, and consequently, perhaps indirectly, fostering the establishment there of engineering. Dawson was the first Canadian to be chosen as a President of a Canadian University. (See Susan Sheets-Pyenson's article.) It might be remembered that Head, as Governor-General, was also the Visitor to the University of Toronto. It is an intriguing speculation that he might also have been responsible for the implementation of Engineering and Agricultural Chemistry at University College.